Sunday, December 18, 2016

Goodbye Europe & Hello USA


Thank you Europe for showing me so much this semester. I still have a lot to reflect on and know that upon returning to the states I will see how this program has truly shaped me. I will miss your historical buildings, your fabulous food, your cheap airline costs and the many cultures to experience. Budapest, I will definitely miss your low cost of living, your Hungarian wines, and the wide range of places to eat. Most importantly, I will miss the people that you have introduced me to, from those on my program to the Hungarians I have met. Those individuals are what made my semester enjoyable.

The one thing I am taking away from my academic studies this semester is the importance of using problem solving, games, and manipulatives and the importance of finding a balance between different student interactions within each of my future lessons. I am also taking away the experience of teaching English to refugees and hearing some of their experiences. Lastly, I am personally taking back more confidence than I arrived with. I can't fully explain from what this confidence was formed and how it will change me, but I know I will see a difference back in the states. I'm also looking forward to seeing what other changes have occurred in me this semester that I have not yet noticed.

One of the hardest parts of this semester was the language barrier. I had been told that many people speak English here and that I would be able to get by just fine with speaking English. While that was basically true, I felt bad requiring others to speak a language that they may not feel comfortable with. Hence, I avoiding speaking to people that I didn't know if they spoke English. There were many times though that I hated not being able to speak Hungarian and have a small conversation with someone. I did take a short language course, but it moved through things to fast for me to become comfortable actually using it. I really only used and understood numbers, greetings, some foods, "thank you", "sorry/excuse me", and "I don't speak Hungarian". So yes I could get by, but never did I feel comfortable with this. I will forever be grateful for speaking English, the language used upon travelers and I am looking forward to being able to speak English more freely in the states.

I am greatly looking forward to being back in the United States. I've been told that I will greatly miss this semester and I am sure aspects of it I will, but I am looking forward to going home more than I have heard others speak of. It has been an adventurous, challenging, and enriching semester. Despite the fun times I have had and the great people that I have met, I'm ready to be back home surrounded by my family, faith family, and CSB/SJU community. Goodbyes are hard though and I have had to do many this week. First I said goodbye to the three very thoughtful women that I taught English to. They gave me an enriching experience that I will never forget. Next I said goodbye to the ICFB group that were so welcoming to Olivia and I. ICFB welcomed Olivia and I with open arms and continued to remind how God has worked in my life. I will be praying for all them as they continue their studies and work, especially Bernie and Sion who gave birth to a beautiful new daughter on Thursday. Lastly I said goodbye to the many people who I meant on this program. Some of them I know I will see again, but others I will probably never see again. Olivia and I got shakes on Thursday at the same place that we got waffles at and started our strong friendship at in the beginning of the semester. Then Julia, Rose, Olivia, Steffi, Haley, and I hung out together at Rose, Olivia, & Steffi's place. It was a great evening to spend together one last time. I pray that everyone has safe travels home and I hope to keep in touch with many of the wonderful individuals that have touched my heart this semester. While these goodbyes are always tough, it is time for me to be back home.

Szia later Europe & Budapest. Hello Minnesota,
Ashley


 *Notice: Szia means bye in Hungarian but sounds like "see ya".

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10